Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Desert of Preparation

Happy belated New Year! I know, I'm just a bit late, but better late than never, right? While I was thankful to see 2009 finally end, I also felt like I was saying goodbye to a friend that I'll never see again. It was a year full of heartbreak for my family, but it was also bittersweet. It was the year our son was born and for that reason, we will remember it the most.

I didn't really make any New Year's resolution for 2010, except for one- HOPE. My resolution is to not give up HOPE. To some, it may seem like a simple commitment, but to me, it has been a personal struggle since losing Landon and especially after our miscarriage. Just when I think I'm getting to a breaking point in my grief, it comes rushing back in Tsunami-size waves. I've had some personal struggles lately about life in general and God's plan for my life. I know it's satan trying his hardest to knock me down and I fill like I have to suit up for battle on a daily basis. "Lord, give me strength" has become part of my daily prayer.



I recently started the new Beth Moore bible study "Breaking Free", and it could not have started at a better time. I'm sure you'll be reading about it quite often in my future posts, so heads-up. I love Beth Moore!

The opening verse on the first night came from Isaiah 61:1-3.

"....He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,....to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion- to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of His splendor."

Wow, such an amazing promise from our heavenly father!


The first week's study was a reminder that even when we are being faithful to God and centered in His will, satan can still attack us. Sometimes he attacks the weak believers because they are easy prey. Other times he attacks the fully-surrendered servants of God just for the challenge of it. I'm sure he takes great delight in watching the infectious result of a strong believer's "fall from grace". Every time I think of that, I recommit to not giving up. I can't let satan win.

Have you ever noticed that almost every time an important figure in the Bible was about to do something great, God would send him into the desert? Moses, Abraham, John the Baptist, Jesus...It was in the desert that God prepared each person for the great task they would soon take on. I may not be a world-changing history maker, but I feel like I've been wandering in the desert for the last 8 months. So, I keep waiting and thinking "What great task is God preparing me for?" Will I be ready? Until He reveals His plan for me...I wait and I HOPE.

"Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior" Habakkuk 3:17-19

2 comments:

  1. I just realized you have this blog. It is so touching and such a wonderful thing you are doing. I did my first Beth Moore study last year “A Heart Like His” a study about David and this year I have started doing more. Like you said in this post they couldn’t have came at a better time in my life. They came at a time when I probably began to think God had forsaken me. I love how Beth Moore makes you dig deep into the Bible and dig deep into your own soul and helps you realize what God is doing and has done for you on a personal level. My personal relationship with God has grown since I started doing Beth Moore Bible studies and even when I’m not doing one, I’ve learned to study his word in a whole new way. I look forward to what is in store in this Bible study for me to learn about myself and hopefully see more of God’s will for me or at least just have faith it’s still there and reassure myself he does have a plan. I am so glad you are in my small group and I get to share part of the journey with you. I loved what you shared last week. It helps us all take a look at ourselves and how we are feeling toward God. Now that I have found this blog I will read it along with my Beth Moore Study for the day, because I found it interesting what you were saying about the people of the Bible walking through the desert. I also loved the part you noticed Beth Moore said; Satan will still attack the faithful. I stopped and thought a lot about that part of the study as well. It is interesting to see what how other women in the study are interpreting what they are reading, so I’m glad you posted about it. Thanks for sharing. Love Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished her Patriarchs study and felt like it was written just for me...I love Beth too and love how she allows God to help her write for each of us readers personally. I start Breaking Free on Feb 9th and am so excited. We'll do it together! Love you! Praying for Hope and endurance for 2010.

    ReplyDelete